These are SOOO good. They really are the perfect cookie. I used Safflower oil, 1/2 cup of spelt flour along with the all-purpose and doubled the cookie sheet. Turned out perfect… kiddos and hubby LOVED. xoxoxox0 this is a keeper.
(Note: This is a copy of the original recipe)
INGREDIENTS (makes about 18 cookies)
- 3⁄4cup canola oil (I use safflower oil)
- 2cups sugar (I used muscovado sugar)
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 1tablespoon flax seed, plus
- 1teaspoon flax seed
- 1⁄2cup soymilk (I use rice milk)
- 2cups flour
- 3⁄4cup cocoa powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2cups semisweet vegan chocolate chips (obviously, vegan chocolate chips if you want these to be vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grind flax seeds in a blender until they become a fine powder, then add the soy milk and blend for about 30 seconds more and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the sugar and oil in a separate large bowl.
- Add the flax/soy milk mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients (the original recipe does not call for a mixer, but you may want to use yours.).
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls and flatten into disks about 1 1/2″ in diameter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1″ apart and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let rest on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then remove with a spatula to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- **For chocolate chocolate chip cherry cookies, replace 1 teaspoon of the vanilla with almond extract, and use 3/4 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cup chopped cherries.
- ***For chocolate nut cookies, replace 1 teaspoon of the vanilla with a nut extract (almond, walnut, etc) and replace the chocolate chips with 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts of your choice.